Creative and passionate writer dedicated to fostering the concepts of writing through online mediums. Committed to working with a team to produce the most effective products.
The College of Saint Rose
MFA in Creative Writing May 2015
BA in English, Cum Laude December 2011
Accomplishments: Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society President • Editor in Chief of Sphere Magazine
Digital Marketing Specialist
September 2016 – Present
Capital District YMCA Albany, NY
- Maintain website presence with timely updates, managing design, brand and content to position the site high in SEO standings
- Develop and manage timely, relevant, and engaging posts on social media channels
- Implement and utilize Google Analytics, AdWords, and remarketing accounts. Maximize Google Grants.
- Utilize Facebook ads to capture new member sales.
- Create email communications including content, list management, and targeting
- Assist with digital communications trainings for branches
- Assist in creation of digital media plan for fundraising
- Develop and publish videos that increase membership and member connections
- Use Photoshop, Illustrator and other software tools to create digital graphics
- Research and develop new social media approaches and activities that will improve our message placement and reach.
- Participate in establishing digital communications procedures
- Measure, track and report on all digital platforms
- Align digital content with marketing and communications strategies
- Support other areas of the marketing and communications department as needed
Social Media Coordinator
March 2016 – Present
Erik LaChance State Farm, Remote
- Coordinating promotions and events with local businesses.
- Building a social media following on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Working under corporate management to create a social media presence that complies with the company’s values while maintaining a personal sense of community.
Social Media Manager
March 2016 – March 2017
PongCaddie , Remote
- Building a lifestyle blog from scratch that targets specific audiences surrounding a new product.
- Generating daily SEO inspired content and promoting the site through social media.
- Working closely with the CEO to create management rules and regulations for a unified site.
August 2013 – May 2015
Pine Hills Review, Albany, NY
- Read through numerous fiction and non-fiction submissions through Submittable.
- Formulated a flow chart and implementing hierarchy structures through the various levels of staff.
- Booked events with featured readers throughout the Capital Region and marketing each event through local businesses and social media.
- Edited each accepted submissions, in all genres, and formatting each piece for the website.
- Worked closely with authors through the editing process in order to maintain the author’s aesthetic while upholding the standards of the magazine.
Poetry Workshop Leader
September 2013 – May 2014
Equinox Youth Shelter, Albany, NY
- Designed and taught weekly introductory poetry class to high school students.
- Worked with a diverse group of students, including lower class and homeless teenagers, and developed specialized strategies for teaching various levels of learning.
- Encouraged students to develop personal writing goals and tailor each lesson to meet the agreed upon goals.
- Evaluated student writing with an emphasis on basic skills that were transferable to other classes and contexts.
- Coordinated internal and external readings to bolster enthusiasm for writing and expand their views and conceptions of the spoken word.
- Conducted one-on-one conferences that fostered student writing outside the classroom.
Graduate Assistant, English Department
August 2013-December 2015
The College of Saint Rose, Albany, NY
- Assisted professors in the classroom setting, including leading creative writing workshops and delivering presentations on the craft of writing.
- Served as substitute for professors in creative writing and English literature courses.
- Worked as assistant to the Frequency North reading series and created close relationships with visiting authors.
- Developed social media strategies to promote the English Department as well as the reading series.
Social Media and Marketing Intern
August 2013-August 2014
American Association of University Presses, New York, NY
- Solicited potential candidates for the “Digital Digest” blog and edited weekly posts.
- Conducted social media research strategies in order to benefit member presses.
- Worked closely with a publicist to effectively market major events in New York, London, and Germany.
- Compiled information from member presses and implemented changes to the company website.
Graduate Assistant, Graduate Admissions
August 2012-May 2013
The College of Saint Rose, Albany, NY
- Served as knowledgeable resources for potential graduate students, addressing their questions and giving them the material and contacts they needed.
- Creating weekly, informational, online posts for current and prospective students.
- Attending campus events in order to promote the college and its facilities, such as the Writing Center and Career Center.
July 2010 – June 2011
The Free George, Lake George, NY
- Created a bi-weekly literature column that included interviews with local authors, book reviews, and commentary on literary readings throughout the Capital Region and the Adirondacks.
- Solicited press releases and researched upcoming events and created promotional materials on local events.
Barney, Juliet. “If It Wasn’t For Winston, I Wouldn’t Smoke.” Drunk Monkeys. (2015)
Barney, Juliet. “In Observance.” War, Literature, and the Arts. Vol. 27 (Upcoming 2015).
Barney, Juliet. “Choose Your Own Adventure: Acquisitions and Marketing in the Modern University Press.” The Association of American University Presses. (2014).